"Out with the New, In with the Old!"

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Tradition of the Month - Voting

I'm a couple days late for this August post, but it's so hot outside, who'd know it was September? As you just read, I have a very unlikely tradition to present. Since there is no official holiday during this month, I stole a tradition from November because it coincides with an important August anniversary. Besides, November gets Thanksgiving, so can't we share? Anyhow, with not a day in August to spare, on with the facts.


Suffragettes
For all you Americans out there, it nearly feels like November, save for the weather. Politics are in the air as debate ensues between the right and the left, the red and the blue, the elephant and the donkey. Animals and favorite colors aside, I am particularly excited to cast my first ballot in a presidential election. Since I am a woman, I owe this right, this privilege, to a monumental vote that occurred on August 26, 1920. This marks the anniversary of the 19th Amendment, when women were granted the right to vote.

Voting might not seem like a tradition, but Americans and thousands of others around the world have been doing it for hundreds of years. Let's celebrate with a bit of very inspiring "trivia".

The Power of One...

1645 - One vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.

1776 - One vote gave America the English language instead of German.

1885 - One vote brought Texas into the Union.

1868 - One vote saved President Andrew Jackson from impeachment.

1875 - One vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.

1876 - One vote gave Rutherford B. Hayes the Presidency of the United States of America.

1923 - One vote gave Adolf Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party.

1941 - One vote saved the Selective Service - just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Some of you may have heard these amazing stories before. Too bad they're all false. Yup, snopes.com has debunked them all. [click here if you think I'm kidding]. I thought it better to break the news to you gently, after you'd already sat back in your chair, mentally determining to vote at every single election from now on. My opinion matters! you ponder. Hopefully I caught you before you tried to impress or inspire one of your friends. Unfortunately for me, I had already shared some of these great facts with my sister, Autumn, who was cleverly doubtful.

While the purpose of The Revival Chronicles is to share those historical zingers we all love, I am happy to utilize it as a means to save some poor unsuspecting soul from embarrassment. The truth remains that your voice and your vote do count. As an American, and a woman, I am blessed to be able to employ this privilege. Will you?



Still not convinced?  Here's some more sources on -

German Language Myth:

Oliver Cromwell Myth, France Myth, Adolf Hitler Myth, & Selective Service Myth:

Rutherford B. Hayes Myth (they say he won by 1 electoral vote/900 votes):

Texas Myth and Andrew Jackson:
I couldn't find anything to confirm Snopes' argument on these two matters.  I did, however, discover this, which would seem to prove that one vote is the reason I can today call myself a Texan.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the article; it makes me want to vote more than once!

    Oops... sorry, I forgot... we're not in Chicago :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments and suggestions!